The early closure of Victoria’s largest power station further demonstrates the need for a common-sense plan to transition our energy market whilst keeping prices low.
The Liberals and Nationals’ real solutions plan for energy is all about ensuring reliable and affordable energy while delivering a practical and achievable path to reduce emissions.
Our comprehensive plan will give households control over their energy bills and deliver the energy system of the future, by;
- Implementing our Power to the People Plan which will provide 1 million households with a rebate of up to $1,400 for solar panels and $3,000 for a home battery, with at least 100,000 for rentals.
- Putting Victorians first with our Victorian Gas for Victorians pledge, by reserving new natural gas for domestic use and putting downward pressure on local prices. As part of this, we will immediately legislate a local gas guarantee for new supply.
- Unlocking our natural gas potential by encouraging conventional onshore gas exploration and production.
- Establishing a $1 billion Victorian Hydrogen Strategy to support the research, development and adoption of clean hydrogen technologies.
- Unlocking 1,800 megawatts of renewable energy by upgrading transmission infrastructure in Western Victoria.
- Immediately establishing a “Fixing Victoria’s Grid” taskforce that partners with industry to develop a plan to modernise our transmission system to make renewables work.
Gas is an essential part of Victoria’s energy mix and plays a critical role in securing affordable and reliable baseload energy. It is also the fastest and most reliable way that we can support our transition to renewables.
Victoria has already legislated a net-zero by 2050 emissions target, and established an interim non-legislated 2030 target of a 50 per cent reduction in emissions. In order to support confidence in the investments we need to make these targets a reality, the Liberals and Nationals have announced we will legislate that interim 2030 target.
Shadow Minister for Energy and Renewables, David Southwick, said only the Liberals and Nationals have a comprehensive plan to cut energy bills whilst supporting a transition to net-zero.
“Victoria needs a clear pathway to our energy future that ensures reliable and affordable energy while delivering a practical and achievable path to reduce emissions.”
“After eight years, Daniel Andrews has failed to deliver any meaningful transition plan for workers and their families across the Latrobe Valley and has allowed the energy expertise and infrastructure of this region to go to waste.”
“Only a Matt Guy Liberals and Nationals Government will deliver real solutions to keep energy prices low, the lights on and support a sensible transition to net-zero.”